Bangaloreans !!! Know your City bangalore / bengaluru 🙏🏼
- How did the name saaraki come into existence ?
Named after Sarakke son of king Sarangadhara
Since sarangadhara had his son beheaded listening to the voice of the love of his life..
In memory of his son the area was called Sarakke and eventually with time corrupted and being called presently as sarakki..
The present day veerabhadra swamy temple in sarakki has this story incribed in one of its stone in the temple premises.
- How did the name Kalasipalya come into existence ?
Kalasi means the labourers working for Nawab Hyder Ali Khan Bahaddur and Nawab Tipu Sultan on the outskirts of the present Bangalore Fort in city market who were skilled in pitching tents of military purpose as well fabricating military weapons 🙏🏻
- Do you know how did Frazer town come into existence ?
Frazer town… named after Stuart Mitford Fraser, who was the tutor and guardian of Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV, Maharaja of Mysore
Even today an Inscription on the commemorative plaque on the corner of Coles Road and Mosque Road, reads
FRASER TOWN called after
THE HON M S M FRASER ICS CIE RESIDENT
IN MYSORE christened by
MRS F. J. RICHARDSAUGUST 1910
- Do you know how did Rajajinagar come into existence ?
Inaugurated by Maharaja’s of Mysore Jayachamaraja Wadiyar, Rajajinagar Pillar on 03/07/1949. Named after statesman Chakravarti Rajagopalachari (C. Rajagopalachari; 10 December 1878 – 25 December 1972), informally called Rajaji, last Governor-General of India
One can still see the CITB tower inaugurated by the Maharaja of Mysore in the 1950s. The tower stands tall amid the circle park surrounded by the Metro station, ISCKON, Orion Mall and the WTC on all sides.
- Do you know how did the name Madhavan park come into place ?
The Park Named after the Chief Engineer R Madhavan, who was responsible for the creation the then asias biggest residenstial area Jayanagara…
- Which is river that used to flow in Bangalore ? and where are the Origin or source of that river ??
River Vrishabhavati is the river and the origin of the river is near the Dakshinamukha Nandi Tirtha or the Kadu Malleshwara Temple in Malleswaram, and it flows through major areas like Nayandahalli, Rajarajeshwari Nagar and Kengeri.
The river can be seen near the Mantri Mall Malleswaram, Magadi Road and Mysore Road metro stations.
A smaller stream of the river originates near Bugle Rock in Basavanagudi, and joins the main river near Mysore Road.
The river culminates in a reservoir named after itself Vrishabhavathi Reservoir near Bidadi.
It joins Arkavathy River near Kanakapura as a tributary and then finally into Cauery river..
- What was the original name of blore ?
- How many theatres were in majestic area ?
- Name all those theaters ?
- What was the bus number from Malleswaram 18th cross to gandhibazar in 1960 to 1970 ?
Route no. 11 in 1960s it was a Road Train
- What was the bus number from Malleswaram 18th cross to gandhibazar in 1980s?
Route no. 41 in 1980s
- Which is the birth place of Tipu Sultan ?
Tippu Sultan was born in Devanahalli in 1750. The birthplace of Tippu Sultan, located very close to the Devanahalli Fort is just a small pillared enclosure with a stone tablet which declares the place to be the birth place of Tipu Sultan.
- Which are Hotels famous for Masale Dose in Bengaluru ?
5 Very famous Outlets and these holds the legacy even to this day…..
Malleswaram – Janatha Hotel & CTR
Gandhi Bazar – Vidhyarthi Bhavan
Lalbagh – MTR
Lavelle Road – Airlines Hotel
- How did mekhri circle got its name ?
In the 1930s, when bullock carts were the prime mode of transport, an Arab businessman was pained to see the beasts carry loads up the steep, rough climb from Hebbal Tank. Their hoofs wore thin very soon. So, he levelled the path, spending Rs 10,000 out of his pocket. When this came to the notice of Sir Mirza Ismail, the then diwan of Mysore, he promptly informed Krishnaraja Wadiyar. A private citizen spending for public good, the king thought, reflected badly on his administration. He made good the businessman’s expenses and named the area at the junction of Bellary Road, Jayamahal Road and CV Raman Avenue in his honour.
Today , we call it Mekhri Circle. The selfless businessman was M Enayathulla Mehkri (not ‘Mekhri’ as it is spelt today). The Enayathulla Mehkri Square was inaugurated by Sir John Hope, governor of the Madras Presidency , in April 1935.The space had a lamp post with five lights. A garden around it was maintained by ward officers.
- Which was the biggest residential area of Asia ?
The foundation of Jayanagar was laid in the year 1948. Jaya comes from Mysore’s
Maharaja Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar.
C Rajagopalachari, the last governor-general of India, unveiled a historic stone nameplate on the base of the Ashoka Pillar to mark the birth of Jayanagar in South Bengaluru.
- Who got Lalbagh ?
Nawab Hyder Ali khan bahaddur, father of Tippu Sultan commissioned the making of Lalbagh in 1760. Lalbagh was originally planned over 30 acres of land here, before the British planned it across the 240 acres that we see today. Nawab Hyder Ali khan bahaddur was inspired by the Mughal gardens in Delhi and so had Lalbagh built.
- How did the name Maavali come into existence ?
There was a lot of Maavinna thoppu in and around Lalbagh and the village used to be called as maavinna halli…with a little slang…
Maavinna halli turned out to be Maavalli
- How did the name Shivajinagar come into existence ?
Named after the 17th century Maratha king Shivaji Maharaja. In rememberence of Chatrapathi Shivaji maharaja had spent his childhood days in bengaluru.
- What is the full name of K C General Hospital ?
Kempu Cheluvaraja Ammani mother of His Highness Shri Jayachamarajendra WoDeyar 🙏
- Who was the founder head of Makkala koota ?
The All Karnataka Children’s Association more popularly known as “MAKKALA KOOTA” founded in 1938 by Smt.r.Kalyanamma.
- Name the locations of Kempegowda Gopura in Bangalore ?
Kempe Gowda II, built the 4 watch towers at below mentioned 4 locations, that marked Bangalore’s boundary.
a. On a hilllock in Kempambudhi Kere, Gavipuram
b. Lalbagh, Entry thru Double Road
c. On the bank of Ulsoor lake
d. At a park next to Ramana Maharshi ashram, Sadashivanagar near Mekhri circle
- What is the relation bw Bangalore and Mount Everest ?
When the Britishers decided to launch the survey, the first baseline was drawn between Krishnarajapuram and Agara.
However, post ground work, this baseline was abandoned due to a technical error
The man who conceived the GTS exercise was Colonel William Lambton, an Englishman who started his career as a surveyor in the British Army in 1784. Who was instrumental in the survey work, was transferred to Madras where he subsequently started the official survey work.
Bengaluru featured in the project because Lambton wanted to map the terrain between Chennai and Mangaluru, whose control was, at the time, wrested from Tipu Sultan by the British after the Third Anglo-Mysore war.
However, the Bangalore survey was the first field activity of Col Lambton and marked the start of a 110-year mapping exercise of the country. In 1868, the survey team conducted one more baseline survey near Mehkri Circle to Hennur-Bagalur road.
“While the end points of this baseline of Lambton have been destroyed, the subsequent baseline measured in 1868 exists to this day in the city and these historical points remain While the south-west endpoint at the Kempegowda Tower near Mehkri Circle has a stone plaque announcing itself, the north-east end point, a little on Hennur-Bagalur Road, What ought to be a place of pilgrimage for every science and engineering student.
Colonel William Lambton was succeeded by his assistant George Everest. He was eventually made an assistant to William Lambton on the Great Trigonometric Survey, and replaced Lambton as superintendent of the survey in 1823. He is best known for having Mount Everest, the highest mountain on Earth, named in his honour in the year 1865 🙏
Article by @Uday Kumar P L
- In World war 2 a famous rocket by name Bangalore was used, Do you know Why it was called Bangalore Rocket ?
They’re called Bangalore Torpedoes.
The Bangalore torpedo was first devised by Captain R. L. McClintock, of the Royal Engineers while attached to the Madras Sappers and Miners unit of the Indian Army at Bangalore, India, in 1912
Bangalores are tubes filled with explosives and designed to be connected together a section at a time to create a pipe full of explosives that can be pushed through a barrier and detonated, clearing the way for troops.
The Bangalore torpedo was adopted by the U.S. Army during World War II
You can see Bangalores in action in the movie, Saving Private Ryan.
- Vani Vilasa Hospital is named after ?
Mother of King Nalvadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar was addressed as Vani Vilasa Sannidhana by the inmates of the palace. Hence, this hospital was named as Vani Vilas hospital in the name of Queen Smt. Kempa Nanjammani.
- How did the name White Field come into existence ?
Whitefield, named after David Emmanuel Starkenburgh White, was established as an Anglo-Indian village way back in 1882. Built on nearly 4,000 acres of land granted by the then Maharaja of Mysore, King Chamaraja Wodeyar IX,
- How did the name Sheshadripuram come into exisexistence ?
Seshadripuram named after Diwan of Mysore Shri Seshadri Iyer Known as Sir Kumarapuram Seshadri Iyer, (1 June 1845 – 13 September 1901), was an advocate who served as the Dewan of Mysore from 1883 to 1901under
Chamaraja Wodeyar, Krishna Raja Wadiyar IV.
He was the second Dewan of Mysore state since the reinstatement of the Wodeyar family on its throne in 1881 and was the longest serving Dewan of the princely state as well. He is regarded by most as the Maker of Modern Bangalore. He constructed the famous Glass House at Lalbagh in 1889 and the Victoria Hospital at Bangalore in the year 1900.
Even today Statue of Sir K.Seshadri Iyer at Cubbon Park, stands tall and elegant
The private residence of Seshadri Iyer, Kumara Krupa, is now the State Guest House on kumarakrupa Road…
- How did the name Yeshwanthapura come into existence ?
His Highness Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar’s association with Maharaja Srimant Yeshwantrao Hindurao Ghorpade led to common meetings, usually spent on hunting, and cup of tea in the outskirts of his Bangalore Palace. which was a small village and had the proximity of Mysore sandal soap factory. The conversation went late into nights, which made it difficult to head back to Palace. As a token of friendship. Maharaja Srimant Yeshwantrao Hindurao Ghorpade, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar renamed the Railway station in the area after the Yeshwantrao Ghorpade. Since, then the area has been popularly known as Yeshwanthpur
- What the old name of Vijayanagar ?
- The great saint Vyasarajaru has installed a hanumantha in a temple in bangalore location ?
and also could you mention the year of install ?
(Hint : it was installed beside then river of Bangalore)
GaaLi Anjeya swamy temple…
The statue of Lord Hanuman here is installed by the Hindu saint, Sri Vyasa Raja…who was the Rajaguru to Shri Krishnadevaraya of the Vijayanagara Empire…Hampi
Shri Vyasarajaru installed 732 idols of Lord Hanuman/Anjaneya and one of which is the Gali Anjaneya
The temple was constructed in the year 1425 and has a history of close to 600 years.
Shri Vyasa Raja installed the statue here as there was a confluence of the rivers Vrishabhavati and Paschimavati which has now turned into a drainage….🙏🏼
- On every shankranti the sun rays touch the feet of shiva in a temple in bangalore, which one ?
Located in Gavipuram
It was built in the 16th-century by Kempe Gowda I, the founder of this great city Bengaluru
- The present majestic bus stand is built over which lake ?
- Who was the founder of Bengaluru…?
Kempe Gowda I (1510–1570), Modern Bangalore was founded by a feudatory of the Vijayanagara Empire, who built a mud fort in the year 1537. Kempe Gowda also referred to the new town as “gandu bhoomi” or “Land of Heroes”.Within Bangalore, the town was divided into petes or market. The town had two main streets: Chickkapete Street ran east to west and Doddapete Street ran north to south. Their intersection formed Doddapete square – the heart of then Bangalore.